A Brand New Concept in DYSLEXIA REMEDIATION
High-Quality, Affordable Orton-Gillingham Instruction by an OG Academy-certified dyslexia therapist
Shaping Readers: THE HYBRID PLAN
Is your dyslexic child frustrated trying to learn to read?
There is no book, program, or course that can take the place of a highly-trained Orton Gillingham (OG) professional to teach your dyslexic child to read.
Many of you know about OG but have found that qualified tutors are in short supply, and cost may be prohibitive.
I have developed the Shaping Readers HYBRID PLAN, combining 1-to-1 personalized sessions with a dyslexia therapist along with parent-led lessons, making it a more affordable choice for families.
What is the Shaping Readers HYBRID PLAN?
It is a coordinated subscription service combining 1-to-1 (online or in person) Orton-Gillingham sessions with me twice a month, along with customized practice lessons that I send to you. You will follow detailed written plans to implement with your child, regularly and consistently, in between the live sessions.
What is the cost of the HYBRID PLAN?
The HYBRID PLAN costs $350 per month.
What does the HYBRID PLAN include?
- Twice per month 1-to-1 Orton Gillingham sessions (55 minutes ea.) with your child, by a certified OG therapist.
- I will guide your child’s learning with diagnostic, prescriptive lessons to meet his/ her specific needs. The 1-to-1 sessions allow me to provide the best, ongoing remediation and to customize the supplemental lessons, from pacing to concepts and content. It also allows me to “fix” any errors or confusion your child may have encountered since the last 1-to-1 session.
- 10-12 customized, detailed lesson plans sent to you electronically each month.
- 5-6 plans will be sent following each 1-to-1 session, customized to reinforce, supplement, and further advance the concepts taught in the 1-to-1 session. Plans will include explanations, word lists, dictation exercises, passages, and sometimes games and/or worksheets. You will commit to implementing these lessons with your child prior to the next scheduled 1-to-1 session.
- Quarterly progress reports. These may be provided to your child’s school or district at teacher conferences, RTI, MDT or IEP meetings. If you are a homeschooler, you will have documentation of your child’s learning progress.
- Ongoing support. You can contact me by email with questions or concerns, and I will respond usually within 24 hours. If necessary, we can schedule a phone call to speak further.
- computer or laptop with mouse, strong internet service, and built-in video camera and speakers
- document camera
- Colored pens, pencils, highlighters, specific lined paper, and textured mat or rug for tactile reinforcement
- (optional) headphones with microphone
Is the HYBRID PLAN as effective as twice (or 3X)-weekly 1-to-1 sessions with a certified OG specialist?
I’m going to be honest – NO, it is not, but it may be the next best thing for your child and offers an affordable alternative. With the combined best efforts of therapist, parent, and child, it can be an effective remediation plan for your child.
Will the HYBRID PLAN work for my child?
It depends. We will start by having a conversation about your child. If he/she is severely dyslexic, then the intensity of frequent 1-on-1 sessions with an OG therapist may be necessary. For the hybrid plan to work, your child must actively participate in practice sessions with you for a minimum of 3 times per week (including the 1-to-1 sessions). If this cannot be done, the remediation will not be as effective. OG creates new neural connections in the brain, and this can only be done with frequent and consistent engagement.
If it seems like my services are a good fit for your child, we will schedule a DIAGNOSTIC READING ASSESSMENT. (This is not included in the plan price, but part of the fee will be credited toward the first month should you choose to subscribe.) This includes several separate assessments and will give us a comprehensive understanding of your child’s abilities related to the five components of reading – phonological awareness, phonics, fluency, comprehension, and vocabulary. It typically takes 60-90 minutes to administer and may be split into two sessions for younger children. You will receive a detailed report with test results and recommendations. Regardless of whether you decide to use my services or not, this report provides a baseline for reading intervention.
At this time, the HYBRID PLAN is not available for advanced OG students.
What materials and equipment do I need to implement the HYBRID PLAN?
LIMITED NUMBER OF SUBSCRIPTIONS AVAILABLE
Judy Packhem, M. Ed, NBCT, CDT, C/AOGPE
Owner, Shaping Readers